Louder Than a Bomb Florida
Building upon the amazing impact the Omari Hardwick bluapple Poetry Network has had on area youth since launching the program in 2013, football legend Jason Taylor and his Jason Taylor Foundation are now taking bluapple to new heights by bringing the “Super Bowl of Poetry” to Broward County! The 2014-15 school year marked the launch of Louder Than a Bomb Florida (LTABFLA), empowering and uniting South Florida’s youth and community through the art of the spoken word!
Beginning in September of 2014, teachers and students from schools as far south as Homestead and as far north as Port St. Lucie, often times with the assistance of a bluapple Teaching Artist, began working, learning, creating and sharing within their classrooms, in after-school clubs and through various teen open mics throughout South Florida, developing safe spaces for individual and collective expression on their respective campuses and in their communities.
The culmination of this work manifested in an 11-day festival last April, which was highlighted by a friendly competition taking place in dynamic venues throughout Broward County. A diverse group of students, parents, administrators and community members representing nearly 40 schools participated in LTABFLA, creating authentic narratives to reimagine the self and one another while developing mutual respect and tolerance for difference.
To see the full impact of what this groundbreaking program had on South Florida in just its first year,
PLEASE CLICK HERE
The bluapple Poetry Network is gearing up for the 2017 Louder Than A Bomb Florida with full expectation of being markedly bigger and better. The third-year festival will run from March 28th through April 8th, 2017 and again will feature a wide array of schools from Homestead to St. Lucie County and all areas in between, with unique exposure to some of the finest facilities in Broward County.
LTABFLA 2017 Schedule of Events*
- Monday, March 27 – High School Team Preliminary Bouts – Day One – Multiple Locations
- Tuesday, March 28 – High School Team Preliminary Bouts – Day Two – Multiple Locations
- Wednesday, March 29 – High School Team Preliminary Bouts – Day Three – Multiple Locations
- Friday, March 31 – Firecracker/Dynamite Slam – Dillard High School Center for the Arts (10:00am to 2:00pm)
- Saturday, April 1st – High School Team Semifinals – Rose & Alfred Miniaci Nova Performing Arts Center, NSU (10am; 1pm; 4pm; 7pm)
- Sunday, April 2nd – “Food for Thought” bluapple Block Party presented by Lime & Hoffman’s Chocolates – The Fountains in Plantation (12:00pm to 4:00pm)
- Monday, April 3rd – Town Hall – Knight Auditorium, NSU (6:30pm to 8:30pm)
- Tuesday, April 4th – Mayor Slam – Signature Grand (7:00pm to 9:00pm)
- Thursday, April 6th – College Slam – NSU Museum of Art (7:00pm to 10:00pm; doors open at 6:30pm)
- Friday, April 7th – Indy Finals presented by Ultimate Software – NSU Museum of Art (7:00pm to 10:00pm; doors open at 6:30pm)
- Saturday, April 8th – Team Finals presented by StevenDouglas – Epstein Center for the Arts, NSU (6:30pm to 9:00pm; doors open at 6:00pm)