Louder Than a Bomb Florida
Building upon the amazing impact the Omari Hardwick bluapple Poetry Network has had on area youth since launching the program in 2013, football legend Jason Taylor and his Jason Taylor Foundation are now taking bluapple to new heights by bringing the “Super Bowl of Poetry” to Broward County! The 2014-15 school year marked the launch of Louder Than a Bomb Florida (LTABFLA), empowering and uniting South Florida’s youth and community through the art of the spoken word!
Beginning in September of 2014, teachers and students from schools as far south as Homestead and as far north as Port St. Lucie, often times with the assistance of a bluapple Teaching Artist, began working, learning, creating and sharing within their classrooms, in after-school clubs and through various teen open mics throughout South Florida, developing safe spaces for individual and collective expression on their respective campuses and in their communities.
Now in it’s fourth year, the culmination of this work is manifested in a 26-day festival from March 27th through April 21st, which is highlighted by a friendly competition taking place in dynamic venues throughout Broward County. A diverse group of students, parents, administrators and community members representing nearly 45 schools participated in various LTABFLA events, creating authentic narratives to reimagine the self and one another while developing mutual respect and tolerance for difference.
To see the full impact of what this groundbreaking program had on South Florida in just its first year,
PLEASE CLICK HERE
The bluapple Poetry Network is gearing up for the 2018 Louder Than A Bomb Florida with full expectation of being markedly bigger and better. The fourth-year festival will run from March 27th through April 21st, 2018 and again will feature a wide array of schools from Homestead to Jacksonville to Tampa and all areas in between, with unique exposure to some of the finest facilities in the tri-county area and beyond.
LTABFLA 2018 Schedule of Events*
- Tuesday, March 27th – North Florida High School Team Preliminary Bouts – Jacksonville
- Wednesday, March 28th – Central Florida High School Team Preliminary Bouts – Orlando
- Tuesday, April 3rd – South Florida High School Team Preliminary Bouts – Day One – Multiple Locations
- Wednesday, April 4th – South Florida High School Team Preliminary Bouts – Day Two – Multiple Locations
- Saturday, April 7th – High School Team Quarterfinals – Day One – Location(s) and Time(s) TBD
- Sunday, April 8th – High School Team Quarterfinals – Day Two – Location(s) and Time(s) TBD
- Monday, April 9th – Town Hall – Knight Auditorium, NSU (6:30pm to 8:30pm)
- Wednesday, April 11th – Amp’d Up – City of Sunrise Amphitheater (6:30pm to 8:30pm)
- Thursday, April 12th – Coaches Slam – Ella Café, Plantation (6:30pm to 8:30pm)
- Friday, April 13th – Firecracker/Dynamite Slam – Location TBD (10:00am / 12:00pm)
- Saturday, April 14th – High School Team Semifinals – Performing & Visual Arts (PVA) Theater, NSU (10am; 1pm; 4pm; 7pm)
- Sunday, April 15th – “Food for Thought” bluapple Block Party presented by Lime & Hoffman’s Chocolates – The Fountains in Plantation (12:00pm to 4:00pm)
- Wednesday, April 18th – College Slam Open Mic – Flight Deck Pub, NSU (7:00pm to 9:00pm)
- Thursday, April 19th – College Slam – Rose & Alfred Miniaci Nova Performing Arts Center, NSU (7:00pm to 10:00pm; doors open at 6:30pm)
- Friday, April 20th – Indy Finals presented by Ultimate Software – Rose & Alfred Miniaci Nova Performing Arts Center, NSU (7:00pm to 10:00pm; doors open at 6:30pm)
- Saturday, April 21st – Team Finals presented by StevenDouglas – Rose & Alfred Miniaci Nova Performing Arts Center, NSU (6:30pm to 9:00pm; doors open at 6:00pm)